Benzodiazepine Rehab in Massachusetts
Benzodiazepine addiction has become a growing concern in recent years. Benzodiazepines are prescription medications commonly used to treat anxiety disorders and insomnia. However, due to their sedative effects, they are also highly addictive and often misused for recreational purposes.
At Lake Avenue Recovery, we understand the detrimental impact benzo addiction has on individuals and their loved ones. Our dedicated team of professionals is committed to providing comprehensive benzo rehab in Massachusetts that addresses the physical and psychological aspects of addiction.
About Benzo Addiction
Benzo addiction is a serious problem affecting individuals in Massachusetts. The CDC reported there were 2,585 overdose deaths in the state in 2021. In 2020, benzos accounted for 31 percent of opioid overdose deaths where benzos have been combined with opioids, according to the Massachusetts Department of Publix Health.
Benzodiazepines, also known as benzos, are commonly prescribed to treat anxiety, panic disorders, seizures, insomnia, and muscle spasms. While these drugs can be helpful when used as directed, they also carry significant risks of dependence and addiction.
Benzos enhance the effects of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), a neurotransmitter that calms brain activity. This produces sedation and relaxation in those who take them. However, when they are abused, people often experience a sense of euphoria that reinforces continued drug use.
In addition, prolonged or excessive use of benzodiazepines leads to tolerance, meaning higher doses are needed to achieve the same desired effects. As such, tolerance can lead individuals prescribed benzos to self-medicate. Individuals who abuse benzos also escalate their usage, increasing the risks of adverse side effects and overdose.
Furthermore, physical and psychological dependence on benzodiazepines can develop rapidly, making it difficult for users to quit without professional help.
You are not alone. You deserve to get help.
Lake Avenue Recovery is an industry leader in addiction treatment in Massachusetts. Our team of top medical experts specialize in dual diagnosis treatment and are committed to ensuring that each patient is treated as an individual. Call us today, we’re available 24/7.
Signs and Symptoms of Benzodiazepine Addiction
Recognizing the signs and symptoms of benzodiazepine addiction is crucial in identifying a problem and knowing when it is time to seek help. Some common indications of benzo addiction include:
- Increased tolerance: The person needs higher doses of benzodiazepines to achieve the desired effect.
- Dependence: A reliance on benzos for daily functioning.
- Withdrawal: Experiencing withdrawal symptoms when attempting to quit or reduce dosage.
- Doctor shopping or drug-seeking behavior: Constantly visiting multiple doctors or engaging in illicit activities to obtain more benzos.
- Neglecting responsibilities and relationships: Focusing more on obtaining and using benzos rather than work, family, or social obligations.
- Lack of hygiene: Neglecting one’s personal hygiene due to the effects of addiction.
- Physical symptoms: Slurred speech, drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, muscle weakness, or tremors may be present while under the influence of benzos.
- Psychological changes: Mood swings ranging from extreme calmness to irritability or aggression, along with memory problems and difficulty concentrating, are common.
- Inability to stop using benzos: Repeated attempts to stop taking benzodiazepines without successful long-term abstinence.
- Continued use of benzos despite negative effects: Continuing to take benzos even though one is fully aware of the negative consequences it is having on one’s life.
- Isolation: Withdrawing from friends and family and isolating oneself as addiction grows.
How Benzo Rehab in Massachusetts Works
At Lake Avenue Recovery, our benzo rehabs in Massachusetts are designed to fit the unique needs of individuals struggling with benzodiazepine addiction. We offer several levels of care to provide comprehensive treatment options.
PHP (Partial Hospitalization Program): Our PHP program involves intensive treatment during the day, allowing participants to return home or to a supportive living environment in the evenings. This level of care includes individual therapy, group counseling sessions, and educational workshops.
IOP (Intensive Outpatient Program): Our IOP is a step down from PHP, where individuals attend therapy and counseling multiple times weekly. It allows flexibility for those with work or family responsibilities during the day.
Evening IOP: For individuals who cannot attend daytime programs due to work or other commitments, our evening IOP provides services similar to our IOP but with convenient evening hours that accommodate different schedules.
Outpatient Rehab: As part of our continuum of care, we offer outpatient rehab services for ongoing support and relapse prevention after completing higher levels of care.
How We Treat Benzo Addiction at Lake Ave
We take an evidence-based and holistic approach to treating benzo addiction. Our comprehensive treatment programs address the physical and psychological aspects of addiction, with a focus on long-term recovery and improved overall well-being.
- Medical Detoxification: We help clients get to a safe and medically supervised detox to help individuals safely withdraw from benzodiazepines while managing withdrawal symptoms.
- Individualized Therapy: Our licensed therapists work one-on-one with clients to develop personalized treatment plans tailored to their needs and goals.
- Group Counseling: Group therapy sessions provide a supportive environment where individuals can connect with peers facing similar struggles, share experiences, gain valuable insights, and learn essential coping skills for relapse prevention.
- Dual-diagnosis Treatment: Many individuals struggling with benzo addiction have underlying mental health disorders such as anxiety or depression. We address these co-occurring disorders through integrated dual-diagnosis treatment, ensuring that all aspects of an individual’s well-being are addressed concurrently.
- Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT): In certain cases, medications may be prescribed to alleviate withdrawal symptoms or manage cravings during the early stages of recovery under close medical supervision.
- Ongoing Support & Aftercare: We understand that maintaining long-term sobriety is crucial. Therefore, we provide aftercare planning services, including continued outpatient counseling, peer support, and access to community resources.
Benzo Withdrawal Symptoms
Benzo withdrawal can produce a range of uncomfortable symptoms that vary in severity and duration. These symptoms usually occur when someone stops or significantly reduces their benzodiazepine usage. Common benzo withdrawal symptoms include:
- Mood Swings
- Muscle Tension and Pain
- Difficulties Concentrating
- Light and Sound Sensitivity
Find Benzo Rehab in Massachusetts Today
When you are struggling with benzo addiction, you are not alone. At Lake Avenue Recovery, we help you take the first steps to a healthier, drug-free life. Our experienced team is ready to provide the support and treatment you need in a caring, supportive, and compassionate environment. Learn more about our admissions process today!
Learn more About our Treatment Options
Fear and misinformation about fentanyl withdrawal can keep people trapped in active...
Start Your Journey to Recovery Call Now.
We have a longstanding foundation in the treatment and recovery community
Lake Avenue Recovery is a state licensed and Joint Commission accredited organization committed to promoting, maintaining, and restoring the dignity, well-being and mental health for those with substance use disorders and their families serving greater Worcester county and beyond.
- 132 Years Clinical Excellence
- 105 Years Recovery Experience
- 8:1 Ratio Client to Staff
- 12 Publications on Alcohol and Drug Use