Preventing Relapse While in Recovery
Recovery from substance use disorder can be challenging, but it is possible with the proper support and commitment. The road to recovery often involves overcoming physical withdrawal symptoms, managing psychological cravings, and making significant lifestyle changes. It is also necessary to address underlying conditions such as trauma, depression, or environmental stress, which may contribute further to the use of drugs or alcohol.
At Lake Ave Recovery, we believe that with the help of professional treatment, support from friends and family, proper aftercare, and participation in support groups, individuals are able to overcome addiction and achieve lasting recovery.
Unfortunately, relapse is often a part of the recovery journey for many individuals, but with the right support and strategies, it can be managed and overcome.
Tips to Avoid Relapse While in Recovery
1. Maintain a strong support system: Surround yourself with positive, supportive people who encourage your recovery.
2. Attend support groups: Participate in support groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous.
3. Create a recovery plan: Set goals and make a plan for maintaining sobriety, and stick to it.
4. Identify triggers: Be aware of situations, people, or events that may trigger a relapse, and have a plan in place to manage these triggers.
5. Practice self-care: Engage in activities that promote physical and emotional wellness, such as exercise, healthy eating, and stress management techniques.
6. Stay connected with a therapist: Regular therapy sessions can help you work through emotional or psychological challenges that may arise during recovery.
7. Avoid high-risk situations: Avoid places or situations that may increase the risk of relapse, such as hanging out with old friends who still use drugs or alcohol.
The Importance of Fellowship
Fellowship plays a crucial role in addiction recovery as it provides a supportive community for individuals who are working to overcome addiction. Some benefits of fellowship in addiction recovery include:
1. Emotional support: Fellowship offers a safe and supportive environment where individuals can share their experiences and feelings, receive encouragement, and connect with others who understand what they are going through.
2. Encouragement and accountability: Fellowship provides encouragement and accountability for maintaining sobriety, which can be especially important for individuals who are early in recovery.
3. Coping skills: Fellowship offers opportunities to learn new coping skills and strategies for managing cravings, triggers, and other challenges in recovery.
4. Sense of belonging: Fellowship can help individuals feel a sense of belonging, which can be particularly important for individuals who may have experienced feelings of isolation or loneliness.
5. Reduced risk of relapse: Research has shown that individuals who participate in fellowship programs, such as Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous, have a reduced risk of relapse compared to those who do not participate.
At Lake Ave Recovery, we understand that fellowship is an integral part of any comprehensive recovery program and can provide an essential source of support, encouragement, and guidance for individuals who are working to overcome addiction.
Why is Aftercare Important in Relapse Prevention?
As a part of Lake Ave Recovery’s aftercare planning service, our addiction specialists will help you navigate safely in a world outside of treatment and teach you ways to cope with triggers and temptations. Aftercare focuses on relapse prevention skills while reinforcing and solidifying one’s recovery.
1. Support groups: Participation in support groups, such as Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous, to provide ongoing emotional and practical support.
2. Follow-up therapy: Outpatient sessions with a clinician to address any emotional or psychological challenges that may arise during recovery post-treatment.
3. Medication management: For individuals with co-occurring mental health conditions, ongoing management of medications is beneficial to ensure safe and proper usage.
4. Continuing education: Opportunities to continue learning about addiction and recovery through workshops, seminars, and other educational programs.
5. Holistic care: Participation in holistic activities, such as exercise, healthy eating, and stress management techniques, to promote physical and emotional well-being.
6. Family support: Involvement of family members in recovery, including family therapy, to address any relational challenges and strengthen family bonds.
Aftercare is an important component of the recovery process, as it provides individuals with the ongoing support and resources needed to maintain sobriety and prevent relapse.
Why Choose Lake Ave Recovery for Your Treatment Needs?
Addiction is a complex illness that often coincides with other mental health or medical issues. When trying to help a loved one battling a substance use disorder, it is critical to seek professional help. At Lake Ave Recovery, we offer varying levels of care. We guide individuals down a comprehensive addiction recovery path that includes a Day Treatment Program/Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP), Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP), Evening Treatment Program, and a flexible Outpatient Program. Our experienced medical and clinical staff use a comprehensive assessment to determine which level of treatment would be most suitable to ensure your loved one gets the help they deserve.
At Lake Ave Recovery, we offer trauma-informed holistic care that includes an individualized treatment plan that focuses on a person’s strengths, needs, abilities, and preferences and incorporates mindfulness and experiences services into treatment. We offer various holistic and mindfulness services to coincide with our evidence-based treatment programs because we believe in a complete, whole-body approach to addiction treatment. We understand the importance of well-rounded care that includes a wide range of therapeutic and holistic services to heal on multiple levels and find what works best for clients when they return to their regular lives.
To learn more about our transformative treatment programs, call 508-794-4400.
How to Manage a Loved One in Denial of Addiction
Start Your Journey to Recovery
Start Your Journey to Recovery Call Now 508-794-4400
We have a longstanding foundation in the treatment and recovery community
Lake Avenue Recovery is a state licensed and Joint Commission accredited organization committed to promoting, maintaining, and restoring the dignity, well-being and mental health for those with substance use disorders and their families serving greater Worcester county and beyond.
- 132 Years Clinical Excellence
- 105 Years Recovery Experience
- 8:1 Ratio Client to Staff
- 12 Publications on Alcohol and Drug Use